Thursday, September 23, 2010

iPC

Touch-screen technology is the "sine qua non" of Portable Computing. Everything else is a compromise for portability --small screen and keyboard, slow speed, "mobile apps" etc.

Some vendors now offer touch-screen monitors, bringing compromise-free Portable Computing to the desktop. Hmmm. This does not compute!

  • It is not portable.
  • It is not ergonomic.
  • It is not efficient.

No way would I trade my 24" LCD monitor for a touch-screen model, thank you. I'd have to stretch across the desk to reach it. My arms would get tired in no time.

There-is a better way. The secret to converting any computer Into a tablet computer is to get a Wacom tablet. It is a big touchpad that plugs into a USB port on your computer . Using your fingers or with a stylus, you can navigate your computer's GUIs. With a stylus, you can write on the touchpad to enter text on the computer. Windows 7 has good handwriting recognition.

This blog post was hand-written on a Wacom tablet, as it sits in my lap and I sit back comfortably in my chair. I like this tablet a lot. It makes my high-performance PC work like an iPad!

No comments: