Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ubuntu Updates Warning

Is it just me or have there been A LOT of updates since Ubuntu moved to Hardy Heron (ver. 8.04) in April? I suppose that's a good thing, except that these updates have repeatedly broken VMWare server running on one of my Ubuntu desktop machines.

The problem initially happened when I was running an older version of VMWare server (ver. 1.0.4), and I got the message that VMWare was not configured properly. The message said I should run, VMWare.config. Unfortunately, doing so generated errors and did not restore my virtual machine.

So, I downloaded and installed VMWare server 1.0.6. There is a good set of instructions for this here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=779934. BTW, do not ignore Step 4. Post-install configuration. I ignored Step 4 and ultimately found out that that was a mistake. With Step 4, VMWare server 1.0.6 works on Ubuntu Hardy Heron

Now at least, when the updates crash VMWare server, I get the message that VMWare is not configured properly. Then, I run VMWare.config again, VMWare works again and my virtual machines are restored.

No comments: